Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Straight Lines...

Warning:  After reading this post you may be embarrassed to admit you know me.

I find myself enjoying things that are in straight lines.  I don't walk around thinking..."hmm...I wonder what I'll see that is straight today"... that would be too weird.

It is more like I was walking through the Main Building of my work complex and I noticed the lights on the ceiling.  Really unusual, unique lights.  And then I noticed how they were placed.  In a line.  Which made them even more beautiful.  So I took a picture of them.  You do know I carry my little camera in my purse, don't you?

Kidlet Two has picked up on my straight line appreciation.  He grabbed my camera as I was driving one night around dusk. 

It looks like we are driving straight into the sun!  He did a nice job getting this straight line image.

Windmills are popping up all around our community.  Tall and slender and....straight!
In a straight line they are turning and providing energy for us.

I love this picture of the driveway at my parent's house.  Early in the morning with a little bit of fog, I found myself drawn to this inviting "line". 

This is the hockey arena in the park by our house.  This is a shot right in the spring as the ice is starting to melt.  Kidlet Two has spent many hours on this ice during the winter.  He and I made daily trips to the rink watching the ice melt (that sounded pretty pitiful..."we went to watch the ice melt"). Actually, we were betting each other when the ice would be gone.  I love the line of the area.











And it did melt....

Now this field has quite a story to it.  It is a field by Prairie Woman's house.
I was leaving her house this past spring and the corn was just starting to poke up from the ground.

If you squint really hard, you'll see "rows" of corn.
I was driving by this field and got just really, really excited about the lines of corn.
And I needed a picture of this.  A close up picture.
So I pulled over to the side of the road, grabbed my camera and ran into the field.
Squatting down I took a couple of pictures trying to capture the lines of baby plants.

But something didn't feel right.  I looked around and my car was going by itself down the road.  I kid you not!  My car was moving.  I am not a runner.  I am not an athlete at all.  But I had to run...run...run to catch my car.  Oh I was so scared and and in total disbelief.  All I could pant was "oh God...oh God...please let me catch my car".  Somehow I did catch up, I got the handle open to the driver's side door but then I had to run and jump into the car...just like the stunt people in movies. While the car was moving I had to jump into the driver's seat.  It wasn't pretty but I did it.  My heart was pounding and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped.  I was shaking!  And then I looked around to see if anyone had seen me.  Another Lucille Ball moment.  She would've done the same type of thing....

I had been so excited to get a picture of baby corn poking out of the ground that I hadn't put the car in park when I had pulled over.

Seriously.  What was I thinking!  It is nothing less than a miracle that the steering wheel had been left straight because the car could've gone right into the opposite ditch.  I was so blessed that it went straight.

There..I said that word again!  Straight.  I do still enjoy and appreciate straight lines.  Especially this straight road that I could drive home on with my car.  Very thankful to drive and not have to run after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment