Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Columbus

Columbus had a bigger vision when he hopped on the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.   According to his personal diary, he had a burden.  Here is a quote from that diary:
 
It was the Lord who put into my mind (I could feel His hand upon me) the fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies.... There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because He comforted me with rays of marvelous illumination from the Holy Scriptures....  For the execution of the journey to the Indies, I did not make use of intelligence, mathematics, or maps.... No one should fear to undertake any task in the name of our Savior, if it is just and the intention is purely for His holy service....  The fact that the gospel must still be preached to so many lands in such a short time, this is what convinces me.  The Incredible Power of Prayer, Balsiger, David W, Whims, Joette, Hunskor, Melody.
Columbus had a burden to share his faith (his experiences with God) in other lands.  As I'm reading a book on the history of our nation, I'm realizing I was never taught this fact about Columbus.  He loved God and he loved people.
 
His diaries are filled with prayers and first-hand experiences of God answering his prayers.  As I read that diary, those words, I realized, aren't written from someone that knows about God, those words reflect a relationship and faith in God. 
 
I find it very interesting that the land we live on, America, had a beginning based on God.  Columbus had a personal relationship with God.  He didn't just say a prayer, he talked to God and heard from God.  There was a vision and a purpose in Columbus when he set sail.  He had no fear because he knew God was with him. 
 
Columbus had the burden to share the Good News of Jesus Christ in other lands.
 
With this as a backdrop to the beginning of the United States of America, why do so many want to take God out of our history?
 
 Amazing grace, how sweet the sound...grace that saved a wretch like me...Columbus knew the same grace.

I hope you do, too.  Pray for America.  Pray, pray, pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment