Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Approach with Confidence

 Thoughts while picking raspberries.
On a recent Saturday morning when the wind was so cold and my fingertips were experiencing cold for the first time this fall,  my mind just wandered to some random thoughts...

Most of the time when I pick the berries I start by picking around the outside of the patch.  And then I go into the forest of branches.

Yet on this particular Saturday as I approached the raspberry patch, I felt I was suppose to go right in.

I had this little nudge that I don't have to skirt the outsides.

It would be okay to dive in right into the midst of the branches and berries.

So I did.  I changed up my routine and pushed my way in.

It sounds kind of funny that I have "routine" for picking raspberries but I guess I am a creature of habit.  And, slowly, I'm learning that change can be good so a new routine is fine with me.

Back to picking...

The God-Thoughts came fast as I was dropping raspberries into my container.  The thoughts were of a parallel between how I approached my berry patch and how humans can and do approach God. 

Why do we skirt around our relationship with God.  We take the outside and keep our distance.  Like the way I picked raspberries along the outside and then ventured in.

Some people would never consider even venturing in to their own relationship with God.  They have been taught or feel that only leaders in a Church-Club can have the relationship.  So they will remain "outside-of-the-patch-berry-pickers" and will let the leaders go to the middle of the patch.

Many years ago while reading in my Bible, I had a light-bulb moment.  That is a moment when I fully understand something and if I were in a cartoon, a light-bulb would show up over my head!

The reading was from Hebrews, chapter 4, verses 14 through 16.  Here are the verses for you to read from a translation of the Bible called The Message:
Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let's not let it slip through our fingers. We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help  
Did you get the part that said "So let's walk right up to him..."

In my berry patch, I went right in.  There was no reason to start on the outside and gradually move in.  Just as we don't have to "work our way in" or "be good enough" or "let the pastors, priests or elders" go right up to the throne of Jesus. 

No.  You and I go approach this Thone of Grace and Mercy ourselves. Another translation of these verses states:  approach the throne with confidence! 

In fact, I believe Jesus is waiting for us.  His love for each and every one of us far exceeds what our tiny human brains can understand and He longs for us to approach Him.

So today, confidently go right to God.  If this is a first time, stutter out a few words of thanks. Tell Him this is all new and you aren't quite sure how to talk to Him but you are willing to start.  Oh how He will draw you right up onto His lap.  Walk right up there.  Go right through to the middle.  Go get the Love that He is waiting to reveal to you. 

There is a freedom knowing we can approach the King of Kings and Lord of Lords without anyone going before us.

Amazing Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment