Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken

3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken (This time I used just two boneless chicken breasts)
1 (13 1/2 oz) can chunk-style pineapple
1 cup sugar (I use Splenda)
3/4 c. cider vinegar
1/4 t. ginger
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 green pepper, cut in strips (optional because no one in my family will eat this)
2 T. corn starch
1 T. soy sauce

Heat over to 350 degrees.

Flour chicken.  Pan sear (brown) chicken in olive oil.  I used my cast iron frying pan for this. 

Drain pineapple in a separate bowl.  To the pineapple juice, add enough water so the liquid makes 1 1/4 cup juice/water. 

In a sauce pan, combine the juice and all remaining ingredients except the pineapple and green pepper.  Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.

Arrange the chicken in a shallow roasting pan.  Usually I use my glass baking dishes but on this particular day, I left the chicken in the cast iron pan (since that can go in the oven).  Pour the cooked sauce over the chicken.

Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.  Add pineapple and peppers.  Bake 30 minutes longer.

This is delicious served with rice and a green vegetable!

No comments:

Post a Comment