Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Meat and Potato Pie

This is a quick, fun dish that I usually make for Sunday brunch.  One recent evening when I got home from work I started the usual dialog of "what should I make for supper" with The Husband and Kidlet Three.  Any food item I mentioned didn't sound good.  So I opened the freezer and stared at the contents half expecting something already made to pop out at me.  Ha!  That never happens but I stood there looking anyway.  The bag of hash browns caught my eye and I then remembered the Meat and Potato Pie recipe.  So I made it and Kidlet Three raved on and on about how good it was.  Maybe on that next evening when nothing sounds good to you, this will hit the spot!

Meat and Potato Pie

3 T. oil
3 cups shredded frozen hash browns
1 cup grated Swiss or cheddar cheese
3/4 cup diced ham, sausage or bacon
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup milk (can use evaporated)
2 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
Chopped parsley

Mix together the oil and hash browns in a 9-inch pie plate.  Press into pie crust shape.  Bake at 425 degree for 15 minutes or until crust begins to brown.  Remove from oven.  Layer on cheese, meat and onion; set aside.  Combine milk, eggs and seasonings in a bowl; beat all until blended. Pour egg mixture over layered ingredients.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Return to oven (same temperature) and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.  Yield 4-6 servings.


An amazingly healthy supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment