Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Here is a tweaked up version of the Weight Watcher Sweet and Sour Meatball recipe I found online.  My version uses onion salt since I didn't have a real onion in the house, crushed pineapple since I didn't have pineapple chunks, and the chili powder.
3/4 cup oatmeal
2 large egg whites
2 t. onion salt (or 1 cup finely chopped onion)
1 clove garlic finely minced
2 T. dried parsley
2 t. dried oregano

Combine the ingredients and add 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
Form into 1-inch balls.  Place on a sprayed cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven about 25 minutes.
While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce.  At this point I took great liberties with the recipe.
8 oz can tomato sauce
20 oz can crushed pineapple
3 T. spicy brown mustard
1 1/4 t. chili powder
1/2 t. hot pepper sauce (I used red pepper flakes)

Bake meatballs until cooked through.  Pour the sauce into a slow cooker and add the meatballs when they are done.  I used a casserole dish and baked for about 10 more minutes.
My family loves Jasmine Rice.  I also started the rice cooking while the meatballs baked.
This sauce was a little too tomatoey for Kidlet Three.  When he dished up his plate he focused on the meatballs, rice and the green peas.
This is a great meatball recipe. I'm not sure I'll make this sauce again, however.  Even though it was a 3 PointsPlus value. 

If you try this recipe, give me a shout back and tell me your thoughts!
Have an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment