Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Streusel Apple Muffins

This time-tested, well worn recipe lives in my recipe box.
Years and years ago, I think before I was married,
I cut out this recipe from our Local Town Newspaper.
And I've made these muffins numerous times.
Perhaps you already guessed that from the
crumpled appearance of the paper.

This recipe uses just one apple. 

I make the streusel topping first and set it aside.

Combine
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Using a fork or pastry blender, mush in
1/4 cup softened butter

Combine until crumbly. 

The apple should be peeled
and finely chopped.

In a new bowl, combine
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon

In yet another bowl, combine
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 beaten egg
1/2 t. vanilla

Make a well in the dry ingredients and
pour the wet ingredients into the well.

Stir just until moistened.

Add the chopped apples.

Grease the bottom only of a 12-cup muffin pan.

Fill each cup three-quarters full of batter.
Sprinkle streusel topping onto batter. 

Bake 18 to 20 minutes in a 425 degree oven.
I had a loaf of cinnamon bread rising while my
muffins baked.
I was in a cinnamon mood that day!

A plate of delicious muffins.

Give them a try.
I bet you'll call them amazing, too!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment