Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Treasures

Treasures:  things of great value. 

I'm decluttering the family room.  For years it has been the storage room. 
Unusable as a family room and packed full of The Husband's Junk
treasures we didn't use.  More on that later....
 Meet my grandparents, Vi and Floyd.  They were treasures!  My dad's
parents that lived in my Growing-Up-Town.  My mom's parents died
when she was young so Vi and Floyd were the grandma and grandpa
that I knew.  I just recently found this picture of them, which is ironic,
because in my decluttering, I found treasures that had belonged to Vi and Floyd.

Grandma labeled everything.  In her shaky handwriting, she would document.
This is her documentation.  Precise.  And cut to size.  There were
small slips of paper found all over in their house after they both passed
away.  This slip was taped inside of a baggie.  And in the baggie
was this necklace:
I wore the necklace to work the other day.  This is one treasure
I just can't leave in the baggie.  But did you catch what year this
necklace was purchased in?  1927! Amazing!

And this treasure had been in my storage family room for many years. 
In a hutch that I thought contained fabric from Grandma Vi,
I found this necklace and the following:









And this small purse. These are small beads and in such detail.
What really got me excited, however, were the crocheted items.
Stacks of potholders
And the absolutely beautiful tablecloth.  I can crochet but I've never
seen such a large piece of art like this. 
These cloth napkins are from my mom's side of the family.
Going "green", I would love to get rid of paper napkins
and use these instead. 
I'm so happy to have made a dent in the decluttering. 
I have thrown away many black garbage bags full
of things we haven't used in years recycled many items
from the former storage room.  Just getting extra space
was "of great value" to me, a treasure.  But
 finding these pieces of history, finding jewelry
that my grandma wore, is priceless.  And
I'm not going to store them away to gather dust.  I
am going to use them.  Treasures usually don't last.

Matthew 6:19-21
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "

No comments:

Post a Comment