Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Grab a coffee and let's chat

Monday morning.  My day off from work.  I'm sitting at the kitchen table with a big, no, HUGE cup of coffee.  I brewed six cups of coffee in the Mr. Coffee and it is almost gone.  Wheeeeeee...can you tell how this post is going to go?  I'll probably be all over the place on a caffeine high!

So far this morning I've shopped at JCPenney.com, made out a huge grocery list and planned a day of other errands.

 JCP.com is like a second friend.  I am a little surprised I don't get a personal message pop up when I click to their site. 

"Hi Debbie, welcome back...what can we taunt you to purchase today"???
 
 
Snow is falling.  Again.  I know I should start my day of errands but watching the snow from inside the house is comforting and I just don't have the umph to get up and get going.  Umph means Get-My-Behind-Off-The-Chair-And-Get-Going and it just isn't happening.
 
This week Kidlet One and Favorite-Son-In-Law will have their baby.  The word EXCITED does not reflect how we all feel.  Readers, get ready...I will have to contain how many times I post about this baby once she is born.  Baby Claire could consume my blog but I'll try to refrain myself...
 
My dad's cancer diagnosis has been like a rug pulled out from under my feet.  Now both of my parents have had to deal with this ugly disease.  My mom is a breast cancer survivor (16 years now).  I know I am not any different than any of you in that negative thoughts go through your mind over and over again.  That is why God had recorded in His word (2 Corinthians 10:5):
We break down every thought and proud thing that puts itself up against the wisdom of God. We take hold of every thought and make it obey Christ

There is a choice and some action that I need to do to take hold of every thought.  When those negative thoughts come tapping into my mind, I need to say STOP IT.  Don't let my mind go over and over the thoughts that don't line up with God's Word and His character.

One of the tools I use to fight negativity is to worship God and to be thankful for Him in my life.  Also, I read His Word and a daily devotional.  And pray.  Because of His love, you won't be surprised when I tell you what today's devotional is in Max Lucado's daily devotional for today.  Here it is:
The worrisome heart pays a high price....  Worry comes from the Greek word that means "to divide the mind."  Anxiety splits us right down the middle....  Rather than take away tomorrow's trouble, worry voids today's strength.  Perception is divided, distorting your vision....  Who can afford to lose power?
But how can we stop doing so?  Paul offers a two-pronged answer:  God's part and our part.  Our part includes prayer and gratitude.  "Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done"(Philippians 4:6).  God's part?  "If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand" (Philippians 4:7).
Reader, do you have worry, anxiety or fear in your life?  Might I tempt you to stop and make a list of all the good things you have in your life.  Really.  Stop right now, grab a piece of paper and a pen.  Write down 10 things you have in your life and then thank God for each and every one of them.  He gave those to you whether you believe in Him or not. 

When those anxious thoughts come at you...read through your list.  Be thankful.  Life is too short to allow our minds to be consumed by negative-life-sucking thoughts.  Let's encourage one another to be thankful and focus on Him.

Did you stick with me to the end of this rambling?

I'm amazed you did!  My coffee cup is empty so I'll end here.  May you have an amazing day!


No comments:

Post a Comment