Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Aioli

I watched the season finale of Food Network Star last night before I went to sleep.  I've been recording these shows and have so enjoyed this series.

Maybe that is the reason why I awoke several times during the night with the word aioli (eye-oh-lee) going through my head.  This word wasn't used, from what I remember, on the last night's episode but it sure was in my thoughts during the night.

This morning when I woke up, there was that word floating through my head again.  As I laid in bed wondering why I was thinking of that word I realized I didn't even know exactly what aioli is. 

When Kidlet Two graduated from culinary school, he gave me this cookbook that was used in his classes.  When I got out of bed, the first thing I did was grab the book and look in the index for aioli. 

Here is the recipe I found:
10 garlic cloves
1/4 t. salt
3 egg yolks
1 pint olive oil
1-2 T. lemon juice

I didn't write down the steps to make the aioloi from this cookbook.  When I googled it, here are the steps from another recipe:

Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt using a large heavy knife. Whisk together yolks and lemon juice in a bowl.  Add a few drops of olive oil at a time to yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until all oil is incorporated and mixture is emulsified. (If mixture separates, stop adding oil and continue whisking until mixture comes together, then resume adding oil.)

Whisk in garlic paste and season with salt. If aioli is too thick, whisk in 1 or 2 drops of water. Chill, covered, until ready to use.

So aioli is like a garlic mayonnaise.  I don't know that I've ever had it but with all the attention it is getting in my thoughts, perhaps I should make it sometime.

I think I'll wait to make it when the chef of the family, Kidlet Two, comes home for a visit.   
Isn't it amazing what goes on in our brains as we sleep!  Aioli! 

No comments:

Post a Comment